Howard used to fall in the category of children from at-risk neighborhoods whose likelihood for school success was slim. Having returned from foster care to live with his father, Howard enrolled at Fannie Battle day Home For Children, Inc. and their Metro Pre-Kindergarten/ Read to Succeed Classroom.
Early assessments placed Howard on the low end of the spectrum for reading readiness, and each day was a challenge for the young boy academically, as well as socially and emotionally. At the outset of the school year, he had difficulty sitting through short lessons and spending much of the day crying. However, with the dedication and trained Read to Succeed staff, Howard began to grow and thrive. During the school year, Howard’s teachers watched the marvelous transformation of a child who, with the right guidance and curriculum, was able to end the year in a much different place than where he began: a happy, hard working student, equipped with the skills needed to achieve success in kindergarten and beyond.
Howard’s story is just one of the many lives that have been changed through one of United Way’s program partners. To read about other lives changed visit our Success Stories page
- 27% of students in the Metro Nashville Public Schools won’t graduate. To help combat this problem, United Way supports 16 tutoring, after-school & healthy choice programs which result in 420 students increasing academic performance and 3,600 students increasing healthy behaviors.
- Students are 5 times more likely to graduate if they have supportive adult relationships. They are also 3-4 times more likely to drop out in later years if they enter school without basic literacy skills.
- Children who attend Kindergarten without basic reading skills are 3-4 times more likely to drop out.
Getting Ready for School Programs and Partner Agencies
Ensures that 1,200 pre-school children enter school ready to learn through parent outreach programs, and Read to Succeed, United Way’s early literacy initiative.
Succeeding in School
Ensures that 4,300 middle school children in 11 of Nashville’s lowest performing schools don’t become high school dropouts with quality after-school activities, mentors, tutors and life skills training.
Education Program Partners
Getting Ready for School Partner Agencies
- Bethlehem Centers Early Childhood Education (Bethlehem Centers of Nashville)
- Hispanic Family Learning and Nurturing Groups (Catholic Charities of Tenn. Inc)
- Pre-School Program (Eighteenth Avenue Family Enrichment Center)
- Fannie Battle Early Childhood Education (Fannie Battle Day Home for Children, Inc.)
- First Steps Early Childhood Education (First Steps, Inc.)
- King’s Daughters Day Home Early Childhood Education (King’s Daughter Day Home)
- Martha O’Bryan Early Childhood Education (Martha O’Bryan Center, Inc.)
- McNeilly Early Childhood Education (McNeilly Center for Children)
- St. Luke’s Early Childhood Education (St. Luke’s Community House)
- St. Mary Villa Child Development Center (St. Mary Villa)
- Early Childhood Consulting Program (Tennessee Voices for Children)
School Based Family Resource Centers and Lead Partners
- Bordeaux/Northwest FRC - Advisory Council Fund (PENCIL Foundation)
- Cole FRC (Conexion Americas)
- Fall-Hamilton FRC (United Neighborhood Health Services)
- Maplewood FRC (PENCIL Foundation))
- Napier FRC (Family & Children’s Service)
- Pearl Cohn FRC (Vanderbilt University)
Succeeding in School Programs and Partner Agencies
- Bridge Program (YMCA of Middle TN)
- Choices, Control and Consequences (STARS Nashville)
- FACES at McKissack & Napier (Family & Children’s Service)
- Jobs for Tennessee Graduates (PENCIL Foundation))
- Lil Sisters/Buffalo Soldiers ((YMCA of Middle TN)
- MATH PARTNERS (PENCIL Foundation))
- One-To-One Mentoring Program (Big Brothers & Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee)
- Prevention Services (Oasis Center, Inc.)
- Reading Partners (PENCIL Foundation))
- Safe at Last (Sexual Assault Center)
- Salama Institute (Salama Urban Ministries)
- Student Assistance Services (STARS Nashville))
- YLLC Success in School (7 YLLC Sites) (Youth Life Learning Center)
- Youth Development (Martha O’Bryan Center, Inc.)
- Youth Services (YWCA)