Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
Get Free Tax Prep
VITA stands for Volunteer Income Tax Assistance and is a nationwide program operational from the end of January through April 15. United Way IRS certified volunteers prepare tax returns for FREE for individuals & families earning less than $60,000. In 2013, more than 12,200 individuals & families across Middle Tennessee received free tax preparation at one of the multiple United Way VITA sites. This year United Way will offer VITA at more than 40 locations across Middle Tennessee.
SITES AND HOURS
To find a VITA site near you and their hours of operation, dial 2-1-1. Click here for a map of locations.
ITEMS TO BRING
- Photo ID for Adults (both adults must be present if filing a joint return) (Required)
- Social Security Cards or ITINs for all family members going on the return (Required)
- Proof of Income: (Required)
W2s, 1099, disability year-end statement (SSA, VA, insurance, etc.) interest income, etc.
- Proof of Expenses: (Optional for additional credits/deductions)
Childcare expense statements, medical expenses, property tax statement, etc.
- Direct Deposit Refunds: (Optional)
Checkbook with routing number and account number for direct deposit refund
FILE FROM HOME
United Way now has a free, online option so that you can file your taxes from the comfort of your home. Click here to begin filing!
Need Help? Watch these videos below for more instruction or Dial 1-855-My-Tx-Help.