Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
Get Free Tax Prep
VITA stands for Volunteer Income Tax Assistance and is a nationwide program operational from the end of January through April 15. United Way IRS certified volunteers prepare tax returns for FREE for individuals & families earning less than $60,000. In 2013, more than 12,200 individuals & families across Middle Tennessee received free tax preparation at one of the multiple United Way VITA sites. This year United Way will offer VITA at more than 40 locations across Middle Tennessee.
SITES AND HOURS
To find a VITA site near you and their hours of operation, dial 2-1-1. Click here for a map of locations.
ITEMS TO BRING
- Photo ID for both spouses (if filing jointly)
- Original Copies of Social Security Cards of ITINs (for everyone going on the return. VITA sites require this every year; no photocopies!)
- Proof of Income (a W2 for each employer during the tax year, 1099s, Social Security Income, Unemployment, Interest, etc.)
- Proof of Expenses if Claiming Any (Childcare expenses, education expenses, medical expenses, property tax, itemized deductions, etc.)
- Proof of Mileage if Claiming Any (Must be a written record. Please total any business expenses before arriving.)
- Both spouses must be present if filing a joint return
- Last year’s tax return (Helpful in explaining difference in refund amounts, consistent filing, etc.)
- Direct Deposit Information (Proof of account needed such as a checkbook. Most banks do not give account numbers out over the phone!)
- Schedule C with Losses (Can only file one Schedule C per return. Must have expenses less than $10,000.)
- Complicated and Advanced Schedule D (capital gains and losses)
- Rental or Farm Income
- Certain travel and auto deductions
WE CANNOT PREPARE:
FILE FROM HOME
United Way now has a free, online option so that you can file your taxes from the comfort of your home. Click here to begin filing!
Need Help? Watch these videos below for more instruction or Dial 1-855-My-Tx-Help.