The Nashville Alliance for Financial Independence has a need for Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Volunteers to provide free tax preparation for households earning $49,000 or less!
Why be a VITA Volunteer?
- The average cost of tax preparation is $150, and the average cost of a Refund Anticipation Loan is $150.
- The IRS estimates that 25% of the taxpayers that qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit do not claim the credit. In Davidson County, we estimate that to be approximately $25 million in EITC credits that are left unclaimed each year by working, low-income families.
- Tax preparation is a unique volunteer opportunity and a great way to learn a new skill.
- No accounting experience is required. The tax software guides you every the step of the way, and the IRS provides free training.
- Volunteers are protected under the Volunteer Protection Act, which means no liability for volunteers.
- The time commitment is up to you. Volunteer as much or as little as you like.
- Evening and daytime hours are available, so you get to choose what works for you.
- There are multiple locations to choose from.
“Numbers and I had never previously been friends… strangely enough I ended up loving preparing taxes. The whole process of it was interesting, but working one-on-one with families was the most rewarding.”—Blair McLeod, VITA Volunteer
Stay up-to-date on upcoming training by visiting: http://www.nashvilleafi.org/VolunteerCenter.htm