Free Tax Prep
United Way of Greater Nashville has been monitoring conditions and staying current on all information related to the COVID-19 virus.
At this time, to exercise an abundance of caution, we will close the VITA sites in Middle Tennessee effective March 16th and reevaluate potentially opening at a later date.
Click here to self-file online if your household earned $66,000 or less in 2019.
VITA stands for Volunteer Income Tax Assistance and is a nationwide program that runs from the end of January through April 15. IRS-certified volunteers prepare tax returns for free for individuals & families who qualify based on income (earning less than $66,000 in 2019). Last year, United Way and our partners offered Free Tax Prep at more than 25 locations across Middle Tennessee. Last year, the VITA program helped 15,000 individuals & families receive $19M in refunds and save $4M in filing fees.
To find a VITA site near you and their hours of operation, click HERE or dial 2-1-1.
Preparing for your visit:
REQUIRED ITEMS TO BRING
- Photo ID for both spouses, if filing jointly
- Original copies of Social Security Cards or ITINs (for everyone on the return)
- Proof of Income (a W2 for each employer during the tax year, 1099s, Social Security Income, Unemployment, Interest, etc.)
- Proof of Expenses if Claiming Any (Childcare, education, medical, property tax, itemized deductions, etc.)
- Proof of Mileage if claiming any (must be a written record. Please total any business expenses before arriving)
- Both spouses must be present if filing a joint return
- Last year’s tax return
- Direct deposit information
WE CANNOT PREPARE
- Schedule C with Losses (can only file one Schedule C per return. Must have expenses less than $10,000. No businesses with depreciation or inventory or claiming home office deduction.
- Complicated and Advanced Schedule D (capital gains and losses)
- Rental or Farm Income
- Certain travel and auto deductions
File from home:
United Way now offers a free, online option so that you can file your taxes from the comfort of your own home. Click HERE to begin filing!